WHAT WE DO
The below-knee prosthesis of BMVSS has been designed indigenously. The shank is fabricated from locally manufactured, durable, high-quality, high-density polyethylene pipes (HDPE). The socket design used is either total contact, which is vacuum-formed using a polypropylene sheet, or open-ended, using HDPE. This custom-made shank / socket is fitted with the Jaipur Foot.
A functional below-knee prosthesis looks like a normal limb, allowing for the range of movement required for normal human locomotion. The total contact socket provides better sensory feedback to the wearer and prevents edema.
Important features of the below-knee prosthesis are:
- The BMVSS below-knee prosthesis is a rapid-fit limb and can be fitted on the same or the next day unless there is a complication.
- Bio-mechanically, it is based on the standard patella-tendon concept. It is fabricated and aligned according to standard global practices.
- Functionally and cosmetically, it is close to the natural human limb; it allows the amputee to walk on undulated terrain, squat, sit cross-legged, run, climb a mountain or a tree, ride a bicycle or drive a car.
- It is a minimal maintenance limb.
- The prosthesis is water-proof.
- The amputees can walk barefoot or with shoes on.